Tuesday 23 August 2016

Grey Hair

I have been blonde now for about 15 years.  I've loved it.  I think I looked so much better than my mousy brown that always caused me problems.  We didn't have a great relationship.  Having my hair dyed seemed to leave it more manageable.  It behaved itself more.

Then, a few months ago I found I was getting thoroughly bored at the hairdressers.  It's franchised in a hotel that has that 'oh so modern' dreary brown decor and I find the whole atmosphere depressing. 

I decided there were too many women of my age with dyed blonde hair.

I no longer liked the thought of all those chemicals going on my head.

I mentioned going grey to my hairdresser.  You'd have thought I'd suggested having my face tattooed.  She was dead against it, listing all the problems, how it would age me.

I told her looking younger wasn't one of my aims.  I might have been speaking in an alien language, the incomprehension on her face.

So, I have decided to grow the blonde out.  I realise it's going to look like s*** for some time, it's going to be painful and I am open to the possibility I might run screaming back to my hairdresser begging for help but for now, three months in, this is how far I've got:-


I have a feeling hats and scarves are going to feature largely in my wardrobe for the next year or so.

Blessings,
Andi xx

9 comments:

  1. Change is painful... But the result will be worth it. Three months is a far way in and like the look♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't disturbing me too much yet but then, I've never really been a 'hair' person. Ribbons seem to be distracting the eye quite well so far. xx

      Delete
  2. I did the same thing a few years ago. I was coloring my hair brown and finally let the grey grow out, however I got a very short hair cut almost like a man's flat top however in 6 weeks my hair had grown out to a nice short length. People even said they liked my shaved hair cut LOL
    You will look wonderful with your grey hair, just get a cute cut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the blonde cut off would be the sensible thing to do but the rebel in me says no. I like my shoulder=length hair. I haven't wobbled yet but it's still in the 'can be hidden' stage. xx

      Delete
  3. At least the change is happening when most people's hair looks dreadful anyway, self included. I've never coloured my hair so I don't have the growing out problems, I love grey hair, go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading this post late. I stopped coloring my hair some time last year. I did not like the look when it grew too long during the time the hairdresser was closed but like it again now. I keep it pretty short. I'd like to know what you think of yours now, did you post photos anywhere. BTW I am 75.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps consider going grey AND getting your face tattooed? Just an idea. Certainly go for the grey though, if you want my advice, which I accept you probably don't, but at least my advice (and going grey) is free, unlike the hairdresser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... Just noticed the date of this post! Perhaps you have stopped blogging; but your hair will certainly look very different now, in 2021, if there is any left...

      Delete
  6. Suggestion: There is a product I use: 'L'oreal Le Color Gloss' for gray hair. It evens out that gray a lot more quickly. I use it in the shower once every other week. I don't know if it is available there, but perhaps you can find something comparable. I quit dying my hair during covid.

    ReplyDelete

I'd be really pleased to hear from you.